Terms & conditions
1. About Us
The Joburg Green Map aims to list all relevant “green” resources in the Johannesburg municipal area and areas beyond Johannesburg that are within easy reach of travellers (roughly within two hours drive from Johannesburg). Examples of green resources are nature reserves, recycling drop off points, environmental organizations, farmers and organic markets, organic eateries, sustainable living projects etc. For more details of sites we’d like to list, please view the icons and criteria page. The emphasis is on sites that would be useful for residents or tourists to visit to increase their understanding of environmental issues, connect with nature or to aid them to live more ecologically sustainable lifestyles.
2. These Terms and Conditions
This document sets out the terms for using the Joburg Green Map website. Your use of the website constitutes your acceptance of the Terms and Conditions contained below. This agreement was last revised on 1 August 2012 and you are advised to regularly check back here for any amendments or updates.
The Joburg Green Map website is for information purposes only. It does not purport to represent all things green in the Johannesburg region, but is an ongoing, cumulative project and a starting point for your personal exploration of sustainable living.
Whilst every effort has been made to be accurate and reliable, changes are inevitable. We make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability of information in the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained therein for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
Please call or email any listed site before scheduling a visit.
In this website you are able to link to other websites that are not under the control of the Joburg Green Map. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.
Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, the Joburg Green Map takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.
We reserve the right to:
- modify or withdraw, temporarily or permanently, the website (or any part of it) with or without notice to you and you confirm that we shall not be liable to you or any third party for any modification to or withdrawal of the website;
- change these Terms and Conditions from time to time, and your continued use of the website following such change shall be deemed to be your acceptance of such change. It is your responsibility to check regularly to determine whether the Terms and Conditions have been changed. If you do not agree to any change to the Terms and Conditions then you must immediately stop using the website.
- We will use our reasonable endeavours to maintain the website. The website is subject to change from time to time. You will not be eligible for any compensation because you cannot use any part of the website or because of a failure, suspension or withdrawal of all or part of the website due to circumstances beyond our control.
The Joburg Green Map website uses the Open Green Map website platform, which in turn uses Google Maps Application Programming Interface.
5. Scope of Services
The Joburg Green Map website provides an interactive map of green resources for locals and visitors to Johannesburg to use to make greener lifestyle choices and experience the wealth of sustainable resources the city has to offer.
Users of the website are encouraged to explore the interactive map of green sites, share suggested listings, add comments, ratings, images, videos and impacts, or join as a mapmaker in a collective effort to chart the natural, cultural and sustainable living sites in Johannesburg and surrounds.
The general public can anonymously access most of the features of the website. To contribute comments or sign-up for the newsletter registration is required. To add comments to map sites, contribute ratings, images, videos or impacts registration on the Open Green Map website may be additionally required.
6. Types of Users
Users of the Joburg Green Map fall in to different categories depending on whether they have elected to register on the Joburg Green Map website or to register as a Sitemaker on the Open Green Map website.
The General Public is any visitor to the Joburg Green Map website who views information or interacts with website contents.
A Registered User is a visitor to the Joburg Green Map website who has registered their personal information such as Name and Email address. Registration is required to contribute comments to the stories posted on the website and in order to subscribe to the newsletter.
8. Data and Information
Visitors have personal, non-transferable, non-exclusive right to access and use the Content of this website subject to these terms and conditions.
The Content may contain typographical errors, other inadvertent errors, or inaccuracies. We reserve the right to make changes to document names and content, descriptions or specifications of products or services, or other information without obligation to issue any notice of such changes.
You may view, copy, download, and print Content that is available on this website, subject to the following conditions:
- The Content may be used solely for internal informational purposes. No part of this website or its Content may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying and recording, for any other purpose.
Referencing pages on this website through links is allowable under the following conditions:
- There must be no attempt to disguise the Joburg Green Map as the creator of the content. Joburg Green Map must be cited in the reference and a link should be provided to the relevant page on the Joburg Green Map website. The words “Joburg Green Map” must be clearly visible. Referenced pages must not be displayed in frames. Either a new document window is opened or the existing page replaced by the referenced one. References may not be made to pages contained within frames. Instead the reference must be made to the parent document.
- Joburg Green Map explicitly acknowledges copyrights on material where it has been possible to trace the holder. If we have inadvertently used any content without crediting the copyright holder, we welcome the holders of other material to contact us such that we can explicitly cite them as the copyright holders.
- References to other websites or pages on this website have been made in accordance with the conditions which we impose on others. It is never our intention to disguise authorship. We believe that it is in the interest of Internet users that such references are made so long as there is not an unfair attempt to exploit other people's work.
9. Copyright & Trademark Information
This website is copyright Joburg Green Map 2012.
The Green Map Icons and logo are copyright Green Map System, Inc. 2012. All rights reserved. The copyrighted Icons are licensed to Joburg Green Map for use on the Joburg Green Map website, printed Joburg Green Map and supporting educational and outreach materials. You may not resell, rent or lease the Icons, nor may you modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Icons without prior written permission from Green Map System.
10. Inclusion of Sites in the Joburg Green Map
Joburg Green Map endeavours to include a broad range of Sites in its map. The map is continually evolving and is a work in progress. We endeavour to include Sites in the map timeously as we are made aware of them, but provide no guarantees for the length of time it may take to add Sites to the map.
Sites are listed in the map for free in line with the ethos of Open Green Map which does not allow for Sites to pay to be included in the map.
Joburg Green Map includes Sites in the map at its own discretion and is not under any obligation to include any organisation, business or other entity as a Site.
Joburg Green Map accepts no responsibility for the information included in the Site listing. We will endeavour to ensure that the listing details and description are accurate and will also try to not include any unsubstantiated claims. We encourage organizations that are included as Sites to contact us if they feel their description should be changed or if their contact details need updating. Joburg Green Map is however under no obligation to change any site description.
A broad set of criteria has been included on the website. Registered users of the website may contribute to a discussion around the criteria by sending us feedback. Such comments may be taken into account when the criteria is reviewed and updated, but Joburg Green Map is not obliged to do so.
Sites may be removed from the Joburg Green Map if they fail to meet the criteria or if in the opinion of Joburg Green Map are no longer suitable for inclusion for any reason. Joburg Green Map is not obliged to inform Sites of their removal from the map.
If your organisation no longer wants to be included in the Joburg Green Map you can email email@example.com to remove your Site listing.
11. Rules of Conduct
You may not use the Joburg Green Map website or any third party content in a manner that violates any applicable law. You agree to abide by the following Rules of Conduct (a violation of any may result in the termination of your right to use the website).
By accessing our services, you agree to abide by the following standards of conduct. You agree that you will not, and will not authorize or facilitate any attempt by another person to use our services to:
- Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that is in Joburg Green Map’s opinion unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libellous, invasive to another's privacy (up to, but not excluding any address, email, phone number, or any other contact information of an individual without the written consent of the owner of such information), hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- Use a name or language that Joburg Green Map, in its sole discretion, deems offensive.
- Post defamatory statements.
- Post hateful or racially or ethnically objectionable Content.
- Post Content that infringes another's copyright, trademark, or trade secret.
- Post unsolicited advertising or unlawfully promote products or services.
- Harass, threaten, or intentionally embarrass or cause distress to another person or entity.
- Impersonate another person.
- Promote, solicit, or participate in any multilevel marketing or pyramid schemes.
- Exploit children under 18 years of age.
- Engage in disruptive activity such as sending multiple messages or comments in an effort to monopolize comments or forums.
- Introduce viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and/or harmful code to the website.
- Obtain unauthorized access to any computer system through the website.
- Invade the privacy of any person, including but not limited to posting personally identifying or otherwise private information about a person without their consent (or their parent's consent in the case of a child under 13 years of age).
- Solicit personal information from children under 13 years of age.
- Violate any local, or international law or regulation.
- Encourage conduct that would constitute a criminal or civil offense.
- Sell, re-sell, or offer any portion of the website (including use of or access to the website) for any commercial purposes
12. User Disputes
In the event that you have a dispute with one or more Website users, you release the Joburg Green Map and its employees or representatives from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes. In particular, you waive any rights you may have under applicable laws of any jurisdiction.
13. Term and Termination
You understand and agree that the Joburg Green Map may at our sole discretion terminate your password, account, and remove and discard any content submitted by you within the website with due reason. You agree that any termination of your access to the website under any provision of these Terms and Conditions may be effected without prior notice, and acknowledge and agree that we may immediately de-activate or delete your account and all related information and files. We reserve the right to bar any further access to such files or the website. You agree that we will not be liable to you or any third-party for any termination of your access to the Website.
14. Limitations of Liability
The website and all information contained on it is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. Joburg Green Map reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the website or any data thereon (or any part thereof), with or without notice. We will not be liable to you or any third party for any direct or indirect damages you may incur as a result of such modification, suspension or discontinuance.
If any part of these Terms and Conditions is held to be unlawful, void, or unenforceable, that part will be deemed severable and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions.
16. Entire Agreement
These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between the parties relating to the subject matter herein. We may, at our sole discretion and without notice, revise these terms at any time by updating this document.
17. Acceptance of these Terms and Conditions
By using this website you accept and agree to these Terms and Conditions contained above.
For Additional Information
If you have any questions about these Terms and Conditions, please contact:
Joburg Green Map